The 2019 Ken Vincent Poetry Festival was a success!
With just under 100 entries, we saw good numbers in the Junior and Adult categories and the largest field in the Youth category we’ve ever had! Poetry is definitely a voice for all ages.
Prizes were awarded at the Poerty Festival Finale at Cafe Paradiso, Modbury on Wednesday 20 November. A full house, even with the temperature hitting 44°C!
Congratulations to our winners!
First – Bush Paining by Eden Bennett
Second – Blue! by Olivia Seater
Third – Yellow by Lachlan Connolly
Colour poem by Madison Benton
Yellow by Gabriel Malick
Blue by Lily Anderson
Blue is the best by Skalla Saiid
Things that are always Blue by Spencer Peterson
First – Breathing Techniques by Quinn Brown
Second – Nature’s Hues by Mia Guzej
Third – Does it Matter? By Georgia Williams
Healthy Coping Mechanisms by Quinn Brown
The World’s Hue by Deanna Parkinson
The Butterfly’s Wings by Alexandra Stavrou
FIRST – South Africa by Louise Nicholas
SECOND – How to Paint Clouds by Colleen Moyne
THIRD – EQUAL
– Blue Swimmer by Maria Vouis
– Painter by Amanda Elliott
Photograph by Louise Nicholas
Connor’s Masterpiece by Jill Wherry
Synethesia – Kaleidoscope Symphony by Greg Willson
Write a poem on the theme ‘Colour’.
Entry is open to all South Australian residents in three age categories:
- Adult – anyone 18 years or over, 60 lines maximum.
- Youth – anyone 13-17 years inclusive, 40 lines maximum.
- Junior – anyone 12 years or younger, 30 lines maximum.
(Age as at 2 August 2019.)
Entrants can interpret the theme of COLOUR as broadly as they wish.
1st prize – $300; Runner Up $100 + copy of anthology for winner and runner up
1st prize $150; Runner Up $50; + copy of anthology for winner and runner up
1st prize $100; Runner Up $25; + copy of anthology for winner and runner up
All winners, runners up, and some shortlisted poems will be professionally published in the 2019 Poetry Festival Anthology!
Prizes will be announced at the Closing Ceremony at Cafe Paradiso on Wednesday 20 November from 5pm.
- Pick up an entry postcard from the Library, or download the entry form , fill out your details, attach your poem and drop it off at the Library
- Alternatively you can email your entry with your contact details directly to email@example.com
Entries open Thursday 1 June and close Friday 2 August at 5pm.
Terms and Conditions
- All entries must relate to the theme ‘Colour’. How your entry relates is open to interpretation.
- Entries must be unpublished, original, and in English.
- Maximum of 2 entries per person.
- Each entry must be submitted with name and contact details of author.
- Entry form must be dated and signed by author. Youth and Junior entries must be signed by a parent or guardian and include full contact details.
- The author’s name must not appear on the poem page if emailed as an attachment or hardcopy.
- Title of poem must match that on the entry form.
- Entries must be received by 5pm on Friday 2 August. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Entries will not be returned, and no responsibility is taken for entries, so authors should keep their own copy.
- Entries, once received, cannot be altered or withdrawn.
- Awards are given in the following categories: Adult, Youth, Junior. Prizes are awarded for first, and second place in each category.
- It is a condition of entry that entrants grant City of Tea Tree Gully and North Eastern Writers Incorporated a non-exclusive, personal, perpetual, royalty free license to publish (print or electronic), broadcast, edit and adapt the entry for future promotion or publication.
- It is entirely possible that no prize may be given in a category if the entries are not of a publishable standard.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- All entrants are welcome to the award ceremony at the Cafe Paradiso on Wednesday 20 November, 5pm.
- The City of Tea Tree Gully and the North Eastern Writers Inc are not responsible or liable for any damage, theft, personal physical or psychological injury relating to, or resulting from your participation in this competition.